Parent Governor Election
Dear Parent / Carer
I am writing to let you know that we are seeking to appoint two parent governors to our Academy Governing Council (AGC). On behalf of the Trust, I am acting as the ‘returning officer’ in the election process.
Governors have an important and influential role to play in the life of our academy. They work with academy leaders to make sure that the academy is doing its very best to keep pupils safe and help them achieve their potential. If you would like to learn more about the role and responsibilities of a governor, please have a look at the Trust’s website here: https://www.coopacademies.co.uk/about-us/governance/governance-in-our-academies-and-colleges/
Parent governors are elected by the parents of pupils at the academy to serve a four year term of office. You may, if you wish, put yourself forward for election, using the nomination form. You may also nominate another parent, but you must seek their approval before submitting the nomination. Please read the information given with this letter.
The timetable for the election is:-
- Invitations to submit a nomination for a parent governor role issued on 14 September 2021. Please follow link for the form here: https://forms.gle/PjBNT7GTHYbKUu1E9
- Nomination forms to be returned electronically via the website or alternatively you can deliver your nomination form in person and place it in the sealed ballot box located in reception, by 12.00 noon on 27 September 2021
- Ballot papers to be sent to all parents on 30 September 2021. Voting will only take place if there are more nominations than vacancies.
- Ballot papers to be returned to me by 12.00 noon 13 October 2021.
- The votes will be counted on the 14 October 2021 after which the result will be announced.
I do hope you will be able to take this opportunity to play an active part in the academy’s life by becoming a candidate in this election process and by casting your vote when the time comes.
If, in the meantime, you have any queries, please let me know.
Returning Officer for Parent Governor Election
NOMINATION AND ELECTION PROCESS
Parents are asked to nominate themselves using the Parent Governor Nomination Form on the website and submit the completed form electronically by 12.00 noon on 27 September 2021. There are also hard copies available from the school office from 14 September 2021.
If you are completing a hard copy the nomination form needs to be submitted by 12.00 noon on 27 September in the sealed box located in reception in a sealed envelope for the attention of the Headteacher / Returning Officer. If you are unable to submit the form via our website or in person, you can send it by post for the attention of the Headteacher / Returning Officer at Coop Academy Failsworth.
In the event that more parent nominations than vacancies are submitted, all parents will be asked to vote for their preferred candidate. Ballot papers will be issued to all parents on 30 September 2021. Parents will be asked to fill in the ballot paper and return no later than 12.00 noon on 13 October 2021.
A checking process will be in place to ensure that each parent only submits one ballot paper. The names of the candidates standing for election will be on the ballot papers, along with their personal statements; no other names will appear on this paper.
The results of the election will be announced on 15 October 2021.
 Parents of registered pupils at the school, and who is a parent at the time they are elected. “Parent” includes any individual who has or has had parental responsibility for, or cares or has cared for, a child or young person under the age of 19.
 A person is disqualified from standing for election or appointment as a parent governor if they are:
- An elected member of the local education authority; or
- Paid to work at the school for more than 500 hours in any consecutive 12 month period (at the time of the election or appointment); or
- Subject to any of the disqualifications under the Trust’s Articles of Association
PARENT GOVERNOR NOMINATION FORM
Please enter IN BLOCK LETTERS the name and address of the person being nominated for election:
Signature of person nominated:
Signature of proposer (if different to nominee):
Name and address in BLOCK letters of proposer (if different to nominee):
Personal Statement (maximum 250 words)
I wish to submit my nomination for the election of parent governor. I declare that the information I have supplied is accurate. If elected, I agree to:
- abide by the terms of the Code of Conduct which applies to AGC members
- commit to attending regular meetings of the AGC
- uphold the values of the Trust and Co-op Academy Failworth
Signed: ………………………………………………………………… (candidate)